Sunday, November 05, 2006

Homecoming Queen

The "Professor" came in this morning and said we could go home tomorrow! I am grateful for the additional day. Even though we are tired of these four little walls and I miss my family terribly, I think mom needed at least another day. She slept most of the day today but by the evening she was in a good mood and walked more steadily. This afternoon we only made it down half the unit and tonight she walked the entire unit and sat in the sunroom again. She gets more confused as the day progresses and tonight she and Pam had quite the conversation. Mom has very little short term memory (sometimes I think it is none) and she puts odd things together which makes for some very interesting stories. She told some family tonight that she was in the hospital because she had a baby. She then turned to me and asked, "What was the name of that baby? Was it Stephanie?" Well she almost named me Stephanie and her aide was named Stephanie a few days ago, so where did all that come from? Beats me. So sometimes we laugh and other times I just want to cry. One nurse told us it can take up to 6 weeks to really see what the edema is doing. I thought I should have been able to guess 6 weeks, isn't everything 6 weeks?!

I have been amazed at how many people love my mom. I keep telling people all that talking in Wal-Mart etc. that has driven me crazy for years is teaching me a lesson. We can not believe how many people now her and love her. We have even had some of her customers come to the hospital to check on her! So I was not surprised but still brought to tears by the response we have gotten to our Lots of Helping Hands web page. Many of you have email me your email addresses to be added to our web page that manages our needs. Then tonight I posted some day that meals would be helpful and when I came back to the computer after dinner some of you had already responded. We thank you so much. We are not used to being in the position to ask for help and it has been hard for us. But as a great missionary once told me, God is teaching me to accept things graciously. This has been bigger than us for the past 3 weeks. We could not have made it without so many of you praying and showing us such kindness. Thank you for loving our mom.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
Once Faye gets back to normal, we'll have some fun with her about that new "baby Stephanie" of hers! We are so thrilled with the progress she has made and appreciate all of you for keeping us up to speed with your reports during this stressful time AND for letting us help where we can. We love you all.
Phil and Waneta

9:53 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

We may have to visit first to fill you in on the stories she has come up with! Today she told me I needed a boys name since I was now supposed to be a boy!

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home