Thursday, March 08, 2007

"Returning Home"

Yesterday Faye went to the doctor, and he wanted to put her in the hospital to drain the fluid from around her lung. Angie argued, and I am surprised she did not win. The hospital did not have a room ready for her so Angie and Faye went to lunch with Faye's cousins. I called Angie, and she and her mom were looking at the purple flowers in front of Baptist Medical Center. It was a beautiful day in Little Rock yesterday, and I must say I was a bit jealous.

When I got to the hospital yesterday evening, Faye seemed to be doing great. I asked her how she was feeling, and she said good. She always said good, and rarely complained. A complaint from Faye was rare, and meant she was really uncomfortable. It took a bit of coaxing, but finally I was convinced that she was not hurting much at all. She looked very comfortable and at peace. It was good to see her feeling good. She had fallen yesterday morning, and I left men's group at church to go and help Angie get her up. It took some effort, but I think we got her to her bed with very little discomfort to her. I had her hug me as we went to the bed to support her weight. When I sat her down, I felt she needed a hug, so I let the hug linger a bit. I guess that was my last hug from her.

On the way to the hospital it struck me that I helped my aunt Mary Ann get my grandfather out of the floor to the bed the day he died. I have been so glad of those moments over the years, and I am sure that helping Faye will be right up there with that. It was a bit sobering though, and unfortunately foreshadowing.

We watched a program on TV about a popsicle factory. She was always addicted to the Food Network. She told me she wanted to start a popsicle factory. That was an interesting five or six minute conversation. She was always a dreamer, and loved to joke around. I think I am really going to miss her laughter, and teasing her. We loved to joke around.

This morning Angie called me about 8, and said her mom was doing a lot worse. I was madly trying to get things taken care of so I could get there to check on her. Then the word came that Faye had passed. I couldn't believe it happened so fast, and neither could the nurses or hospice. The hospice nurse didn't even think we were ready for hospice yet.

Faye has returned home. Our Lord has prepared a special place for her, that we can not even imagine. It is such a blessing to know that Faye is no longer suffering, and that she is where she wanted to be. Her family is returning home too. Jana will be returning to normal life. The constant travel will slow as Faye's things are taken care of. Anna and Brian will be moving into their new home when they find the one they want, and Angie and I will be taking the kids back to our place. Life will return to normal, but there will be an empty spot, and only God knows when it will be filled.

It has been a hard five months, but we have watched a courageous lady tackle impossible odds with grace beyond understanding. We have seen the hand of God in our lives daily. He has showered us with his grace and mercy. His children have poured out their hearts and lives to help us in ways we could never dream. My kids have matured in their faith, and taught me a lot along the way. It is exactly as Paul said in Ephesians, God is able to more than we can ever imagine or ask. And he has shown himself faithful to us, and to Faye.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I am leaving this blessed. I am a better person for living it. Faye has counseled us one last time in how to live a faithful life with grace and gratitude for the ones you love. Sadness will fade, and God's love will fill us, and the lessons learned will bring us forward until we return home and see Faye again.

-Steve

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve, that was a beautiful tribute to Faye and every word is true. I, too, have learned and been blessed by this whole experience. I will cherish the time I have spent with Faye, Angie and all of you. She was so proud of you all and loved you very much. I was touched by the tender, loving way you all took such gentle care of Faye. She has returned home to her Father and we surely will all be together again. I will always be here for you whenever you call. Love and prayers - Becki

2:38 AM  
Blogger Mary Lewis said...

So sorry for your loss. Please let us know about arrangements.

Mary Lewis
raymar1412@charter.net

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home