Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Our trip to see Josh

We left on Wed. To see Josh in San Antonio. We spent the night in Dallas with mom's brother and got a chance to visit during a late dinner. (Jana and I left late! No guys to sigh, roll eyes, or slump shoulders at us! Just two girls, working, packing, re-packing, cleaning out the van, loading and re-loading the van, and 3 kids to wrestle! Can't imagine why we were late!) Then we got up on Thursday and headed to San Antonio. We traveled slowly, stopping every 1-2 hours! When we got to San Marcos we had a real problem. There is this great looking outlet mall (actually more than one!) We had to keep going or miss Josh's ceremony. We really debated, talked about no one knowing really where we were and coming up with some flat tire story! We drove around the parking lot real slow looking at all the stores, but finally we decided that maybe, just maybe we should go see Josh!

We arrived just in time for the ceremony (actually a few minutes late because of a very important side trip through a parking lot). I had to walk several blocks because all the parking was taken up. There was standing room only and about 800 grads on the floor. They just release everyone to go find their loved one! We decided to stand close to where everyone was leaving and it worked! We finally got to see Josh! Everyone had warned us that they look totally different and boy were they right! Josh has gained about 30 (very needed) pounds and looks great. He has muscles and a tan! (sorry girls he is taken!) His hand looked huge to me! (They were always so boney before!) We were then able to go eat with him. We tried to find the buffet, but kept getting wrong directions, so we ate at the drive thru at BK. He seemed happy enough. But he had to leave very soon to be back in his dorm on time!

So we headed to our hotel and got something to eat for ourselves. The next morning we got up early and met up with Anna and her family. We had 7 kids, mom, 3 sisters and only one husband at this point and we were ON TIME!!!!!!! We only had standing room again though and it was pretty uncomfortable. But we enjoyed the graduation. During the parade we saw "Josh" 3 times or more! (They all look a lot alike in the uniform and all!) But one of those guys was really him, we have pics to prove it! Then we got him for the rest of the day. We had a frustrating time leaving base due to some errands Josh had left to do and about 800 other airmen doing the same errands! But we left and went to relax.

That night Josh, Monica, Jana and Brad (Emily too!) went to watch the Spurs play basketball (Josh got more time off base that way). Anna's family and ours with mom went to the Alamo and to the Riverwalk. We had a lot of fun riding the boats and eating!

Next morning we got Josh and all met at the mall for pictures. We had a mom+sib group, mom+ grandkids, and mom+entire family pictures! They turned out great and we can't wait to get them in the mail. That unfortunately took almost the whole day. We took the kids swimming and later Josh back to base.

Sunday AM we thought we were going to drop Monica off with Josh to have a date day and we were heading home. Well, Josh was so sad about us leaving we decided to stay and travel late. He and Monica were actually both glad we decided to stay. We spent the afternoon at the zoo and then rushed Josh back to base. It was really hard telling him goodbye at the end. Even I got teary eyed! We watched him walk all they way back to his dorm until we couldn't see him anymore! Then we took Monica to the airport and left town. It made me very sad all the way around. We had told Josh of mom's prognosis on Friday afternoon and I think every one had that heavy on their minds.

Josh is now in tech school and has more freedom to contact us! So I hope he will blog occasionally if he can and give us all updates!

Mom made the trip great. She really enjoyed having her whole family together. She smiled and laughed a lot. She slept very little and did a lot of walking. She gave us a few good scares on the way home though. We stopped in downtown Dallas and lunch with her brother and she tripped going up a step and fell, banging up her knee. Thank goodness there was no serious damage! She then almost fell again! I think the pavement was uneven and she was shuffling her feet a lot! Prior to this, we had stopped for gas and I had to potty AGAIN! (we'll talk more about that in a minute!) I slipped out of the car and went in while Steve got gas. When I got back in the car Hogan was frantically saying Mor-Mor got out! Over and over! Sure enough she was missing! I jumped out of the car and asked Steve. He had turned around to pay at the pump and I guess this is when she got out. He began to frantically search outside while I ran inside. We found her at the coffee counter, mixing and stirring coffee in cups! We tossed those cups and poured her some fresh and left. (She wasn't even carrying money!) The first scare had come that last night on the road. It was about midnight and fortunately I had locked every single lock on the door. I was awakened by locks and nobs turning and the door banging around! I sat up and mom was trying to go out in the hall! I thing she was just looking for the restroom, but it scared me! I don't know what would have happened if she had figured out the locks quietly!

Despite all that we got her home safely and she is comfortable in her own nest now! She has developed another cough and we will see the doc tomorrow. I have a couple of chemo drugs I want to ask him about. I hope it is something we can try! I am not ready to throw in the towel yet! So please pray this will be a good thing for her!

So, now for us! We are growing in numbers! Yes, I am pregnant during all this! We are in total shock, but very happy! It has taken me longer to get happy than Steve! He was very excited from the beginning! I am almost 3 months along now. The baby is due Aug 22. Sarah is very happy and Hogan just sticks his lip out at me and will hang his head when we ask him to tell someone the news! (He is a really mamma's boy!) He is warming up to the idea though. He will now talk to us about the baby some. It has taken me a long time to announce the news for several reasons. First, I had a hard time coming to grips with the whole idea, second I wanted the kids to know first and third, I wanted all my family to know before we told the world. It was the first thing Sarah said to Josh when we saw him! Now, if I could just get some sleep!

1 Comments:

Blogger MamaBear said...

Maybe she'll come about 10 days early and be born on your Mom's birthday (yes, I think it's another girl!)

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home