Thursday, February 22, 2007

We are home!!!!!

The nurse practitioner from NIH called last night and said mom's electrolytes were fine and that it was safe to fly home. She said the other test would be back tomorrow and then again on Friday. (They ran several) She did tell me they wanted mom to have a septic work up once we got home. So I called mom's oncologist and he said he would like to see her as soon as we got in and he would probably have to put her in the hospital.

We took a shuttle van from the hotel straight to the airport (instead of changing vans twice and having to go through NIH security again to take the free shuttle). Jana and I thought it would be easier on mom this way (and me too!). We arrived at the airport in plenty of time which allowed for a much calmer trip. (I'll try to blog some of the crazy mishaps later- you know they happen to me! I'll try to remember to tell you about the almost wedgy episode when I'm not so tired!) We went straight from the airport to the doc's office. He redrew blood work, got the results from NIH and looked at mom. He thought our problems were centered around medication side effects and took her off Prilosec. I talked to him about stopping several of the other drugs as well. I feel we are giving her a chemical soup several times a day. He agreed so she is now just on her steroids and antiseizure med. He also is treating her for a UTI. He said the blood work looked better (it was in normal range today) and allowed us to go home!!!!!! He seemed to think that the clinical trial was possible. He has never been gunghoe for this so he is not excited or anything!
But we are hopeful. I should be talking to the nurse practitioner again tomorrow to schedule or next appointment in 3 weeks. We are having the spine MRI tomorrow afternoon. The NIH doc wants to make sure there are no new tumors that are causing her back pain. If there are, I am not sure what we will do. I don't know if it will keep her from being in the trials or not.

Thank you for your prayers. I really needed them today. I was angry a lot this afternoon (hence the almost wedgy episode) but am much better tonight. Mom has had a much better day today, even with all the traveling. I believe God hears you guys!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home