Friday, January 12, 2007

Still in the Top 25%

Well, we say our oncologist yesterday. He looked very concerned as he asked mom many questions and listened to our horror of a week. I told him that on the increased steroids mom was doing better. Her appetite is still not very good, she still has trouble swallowing pills, and she has to ride in a wheelchair often now. He asked her simple math questions and she did well until he asked what 100 divided by 10 was. She looked very perplexed and repeated the question then just looked down in her lap and started reading to him from her Reader's Digest. She knew the Gov (well sort of, the old Gov. We just had elections), but she could not remember the President. She told him that she did not know these things very well prior to all this. But I told him not true! I said "Mom, George Bush sends you stuff weekly asking for more of your money!" She again began to read from the Reader's Digest (aloud mind you). She then pointed to the Expense of Sin and said "I need to sent this to George!" Well the doctor was now doubled over laughing! I can't tell if she means to joke sometimes or if it is just funny timing. I believe this one was a fluke though!

After he looked her over and we talked, he said that we were doing a great job taking care of mom and that he was very glad we had called him and then come in. He said we would need to stay on the 4mg of steroids and maybe even increase back up to 8mg (highest dose was 12mg previously). I hope we can stay at 4mg. He also said the thrush looked better. He then told me that he understood how painful and difficult it must be to watch her have such a hard time, but that she is still in the top 25% of people who have all this done. He said really she is doing very well in his estimation. He said we were so close to getting the MRI he didn't see any need to move it up unless we just wanted to. I told him no, if he was comfortable that this was post-rad syndrome then I was too and I do not want to be scared to death with an MRI that shows glowing effect and can't be determined if it is that or tumor. He agreed, esp. Since we had been off steroids.

He then told us that we had to walk, walk, walk!!!!! I thought "you try it!" So after we left the doctor's office I took her to the mall since it was cold and windy outside. We walked about 1/2 a mile with multiple short breaks in between. I thought we would not make it to the car, but we did and without a fall! :-) Today, we walked another 1/2 mile. This time with fewer breaks. But tonight going into a restaurant we had to stop and go back for the wheelchair. :-( Once her leg spasms that is about it. I don't know what triggers it either. I wonder if it is fatigue related. Lately it has been mostly in the evenings after a big day. Today was not a big day, but yesterday was, so who knows.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, thanks for keeping the blog up to date. I know I check in at least 2 times a day. You and your sisters are doing a great job - I'm proud of all of you. I keep you in my prayers always. Love, Becki

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home