Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Post-Radiation Syndrome "Crash and Burn"

Sorry it has been so long since I blogged. We have had a very difficult time since right after Christmas. I have not felt like blogging I guess. It seems to be mostly bad news right now and I am so tired I just fall into bed each night. I am having a very hard time keeping up with my bible reading without turning on a computer.

Mom was taken off steroids completely about 2 weeks ago. It took a few days to really start seeing the effects, but when they came they were very evident. Mom began to have great difficulty remembering even to eat. She would sit with a sandwich on her lap for two hours. I would continually say "Mom take a bite." Even then she would eat very little. She had trouble walking. On Monday, it took Jana and I both to walk her. We each stood by her side and held her up. She would look down, lean over and walk faster and faster until she began to lose her balance. Sarah and Hogan pushed the wheelchair with us so we would have a place to sit her down when necessary, which was often. She fell twice that night and would have a third time if Sarah had not gotten us a chair quickly. She was very shaky and then began to have a terrible headache. The doctor increased her steroids and told us if she was not better then he would have to see her today. Well, thank God the steroids are working.

Today, she is able to walk around the house again with a little assistance and her appetite is better and she knows to eat. She still has some trouble with swallowing pills and completing even the simplest of task though. She is also talking a little more. I think we will try to get in tomorrow or Friday to see the doctor. On the phone he told me that this was the typical "crash and burn" after the radiation treatments. He called it the post-radiation syndrome. He said he was surprised that she had not done this before. It made us feel better that we were still within the "norm" for what she has been through. We were so scared it was going to be new tumor growth. Jana and I were both very stressed on Tuesday waiting to talk to the doctor. I was sick at my stomach and shaky all day as well as weepy. This is hard to cover when you are working. I am in such close proximity to my patients.

Also, Josh called on Saturday and told us he had passed all his test this past week and was going to graduate on the 12th as planned. We were so excited. We began looking at hotels and activities of the graduation and town to make an itinerary. Fortunately, I drug my feet on purchasing the hotels rooms. On Monday evening he called and said he had failed another dorm inspection and would be recycled again, this time for two weeks! I don't know what is going on but I sure hope he makes it. It would really be sad for him to come this far and not finish! We are so proud that he was able to pass the written tests and the physical tests. I can't wait to see him. So we are rescheduling our trip for two more weeks. Mom will hopefully be better by then!

Thanks for all the calls and visits. We really appreciate your prayers. Diane (Rollins) Hughes wrote that she wanted you all to know the little girl was theirs. Kalynn (unsure of exact spelling) Hughes. They are home and doing very well. They will have some future tests to "make sure". But for now, every thing looks very good. They are very grateful for all your prayers as well.

Steve's mom is doing much better. She is still very nervous after the break-ins but they took some time off and she is doing some better. His stepmom is recovering as well. She is home and has home health come in and change her dressings daily. Ed is going back to work, so I assume she is getting around okay. We did miss seeing them for Christmas, but will hopefully see them in the spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home