Saturday, December 23, 2006

"Some times we get a miracle!"

We visited our oncologist again Friday and mom impressed him again! He said he was extremely impressed with how well mom was doing. He told her is has to be in the top 3 percent! He also said in all of his 15 years of practice he has never seen anyone do as well after radiation as she is doing!!! This was music to my ears. I almost cried in the room! He told her that now he wanted her walking everyday! That she should be up and moving a lot. She should not be lying around unless she is sleeping. I said we were already there and he said he believed it. He went on and on at how well she is doing. Praise God!!!!!!

She has reduced her steroids to 1/3 of her highest (longest) dose!!!! This is often on of the most difficult things for people to do. Your body becomes dependent on the steroid and acts up if you take them off too fast. Some people can't come off them at all because of the damage from the tumor itself. With mom, I can't even tell we are weaning her off! I just cut the dose every 4 days and we go on our way. We decrease again tomorrow and are scheduled to stop it on Thursday! I was afraid she would have weakness again, increased memory loss and confusion or even a seizure, but we had one of the best weeks we have had in a long time. She seems a little more lucid each day. I pray she will continue to improve daily.

Well, I guess you can tell I am excited. I think I have rambled a bit. But we are very happy for her right now and we really enjoy our good moments since there have been so many bad! We are getting ready for our Christmas celebration. Steve and I have been working like mad trying to get the house ready. We are cleaning up and cleaning our mom's place now. It is a big undertaking! We have some dear neighbors and friends that are providing our big Christmas dinner! They have been like angels! (Same ones that decorated for us!) This has helped us tremendously. We also still have people cooking for us on occasion. This is just incredible to me! You all have truly bless our family! It has let us concentrate more on mom and all the daunting tasks we are doing.

We pray you will all have a very Merry Christmas! Don't forget to pray for Josh too!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home